I'm still recovering from the How To Get Away With Murder finale. The drama, the scandal, the controversy--I ate it up, every second of all 43 minutes. I love this show so much, it has inspired this blog post. We all want to get away with things (hopefully not murder...). Whether it's getting away with devouring that cronut without gaining a pound or getting away with that bench press PR with almost perfect form, there is something so thrilling and about getting away with it. Getting away with anything is intriguing and exciting!
Now dieting and clean eating aren't really at the top of our list of fun things to get away with. Considering that "dieting" or clean eating" aren't the most exciting terms, the trickiest part is to find a way to make them fun enough so that cleaner food is enjoyable. And what food is more enjoyable than a big, juicy burger! The dilemma is finding a burger that doesn't count as a cheat. I like to tell my clients having one cheat day a week won't kill you. In fact, one cheat day a week will help you. Just as your body gets used to eating unhealthy food, it can also get used to eating healthy food. It's important to incorporate cheat meals to keep your metabolism fired up. Burgers are one of my favorite cheats. If I could have one daily, I would. Yet to find balance, one must compromise.
With that said I give you How To Get Away With Burgers, starring some of the yummiest, clean burger joints in San Francisco. Below you'll find a list of places with my favorite burgers--just slightly modified to eat any day of the week without it being a cheat. So go ahead, get away with it!
- Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich, $13: caesar aioli, bacon and field greens
- Modification: no Bun; salad instead of fries
- Craving a salty snack? Try their brussel sprouts!
The Plant Cafe Organic
- Plant Burger, $12 (V): patty made in-house from lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews & bulgur wheat. Topped with grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, vegan aioli on your choice of focaccia, whole wheat sourdough, or an ACME sourdough bun
- Modification: whole wheat sourdough (only 1 slice); salad instead of fries
- Their turkey burger is also a great choice!
Roam Artisan Burgers
- Bison Mini Burger Trio over the Farmers Market salad (prices/sizes vary): greens, seeds, and seasonal veggies
- Modification: add a fried egg for added protein
- The Fry-fecta is a must!
Box Kitchen (Next to Tempest)
- Box Burger and Fries ($8): potato pepper bun, crispy shallots, white cheddar, arugula
- Modifications: NONE. Worth the cheat!